A True Story of the 2004 Tsunami
The new movie "The Impossible," starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, depicts the true story of the Bennett family during the tsunami of 2004.
Henry, Maria, Lucas, Thomas, and Simon Bennett were vacationing on the coast of Thailand during Christmastime 2004. Christmas morning, after opening presents, the family decided they would go relax by the pool, but that's when the unthinkable happened. One of the strongest tsunamis in history struck the coast.
"The Impossible" is definitely not a movie for the squeamish or faint of heart. The tsunami scene is shockingly realistic, shot as if you are the one being overtaken by the water. Death and destruction is everywhere. There are multiple scenes depicting dead bodies. Maria and Lucas's wounds are gruesomely depicted.
When the wave rolls back, Maria and Lucas struggle to stay together and get to safety. Neither of them know the whereabouts of the rest of the family, and Maria is badly injured.
After finally making it out of the rushing water, they come across a little boy named Daniel. The three of them climb a tree in hopes of taking refuge. Meanwhile, Henry, Thomas, and Simon, who are also injured, have found refuge in the ruins of the hotel they were staying at.
Will Maria survive, and will the Bennett family be reunited? I don't want to ruin the ending, so you will have to go see "The Impossible" to find out.
While it may not be the type of movie you will want to watch over and over, it is definitely worth seeing. You will experience a roller-coaster of emotions as the tragedy and at times unexpected triumph of the Bennett family's terror-filled vacation unfolds before your eyes.
By the end of the movie, there was not a dry eye in the theater. "The Impossible" gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ucba-activist News Articles
Recent ucba-activist News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UCBA-ACTIVIST
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UCBA-ACTIVIST NEWS
RECENT UCBA-ACTIVIST CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities