A True Story of the 2004 Tsunami
The new movie "The Impossible," starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, depicts the true story of the Bennett family during the tsunami of 2004.
Henry, Maria, Lucas, Thomas, and Simon Bennett were vacationing on the coast of Thailand during Christmastime 2004. Christmas morning, after opening presents, the family decided they would go relax by the pool, but that's when the unthinkable happened. One of the strongest tsunamis in history struck the coast.
"The Impossible" is definitely not a movie for the squeamish or faint of heart. The tsunami scene is shockingly realistic, shot as if you are the one being overtaken by the water. Death and destruction is everywhere. There are multiple scenes depicting dead bodies. Maria and Lucas's wounds are gruesomely depicted.
When the wave rolls back, Maria and Lucas struggle to stay together and get to safety. Neither of them know the whereabouts of the rest of the family, and Maria is badly injured.
After finally making it out of the rushing water, they come across a little boy named Daniel. The three of them climb a tree in hopes of taking refuge. Meanwhile, Henry, Thomas, and Simon, who are also injured, have found refuge in the ruins of the hotel they were staying at.
Will Maria survive, and will the Bennett family be reunited? I don't want to ruin the ending, so you will have to go see "The Impossible" to find out.
While it may not be the type of movie you will want to watch over and over, it is definitely worth seeing. You will experience a roller-coaster of emotions as the tragedy and at times unexpected triumph of the Bennett family's terror-filled vacation unfolds before your eyes.
By the end of the movie, there was not a dry eye in the theater. "The Impossible" gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ucba-activist News Articles
Recent ucba-activist News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UCBA-ACTIVIST
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UCBA-ACTIVIST NEWS
RECENT UCBA-ACTIVIST CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board