A True Story of the 2004 Tsunami
The new movie "The Impossible," starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, depicts the true story of the Bennett family during the tsunami of 2004.
Henry, Maria, Lucas, Thomas, and Simon Bennett were vacationing on the coast of Thailand during Christmastime 2004. Christmas morning, after opening presents, the family decided they would go relax by the pool, but that's when the unthinkable happened. One of the strongest tsunamis in history struck the coast.
"The Impossible" is definitely not a movie for the squeamish or faint of heart. The tsunami scene is shockingly realistic, shot as if you are the one being overtaken by the water. Death and destruction is everywhere. There are multiple scenes depicting dead bodies. Maria and Lucas's wounds are gruesomely depicted.
When the wave rolls back, Maria and Lucas struggle to stay together and get to safety. Neither of them know the whereabouts of the rest of the family, and Maria is badly injured.
After finally making it out of the rushing water, they come across a little boy named Daniel. The three of them climb a tree in hopes of taking refuge. Meanwhile, Henry, Thomas, and Simon, who are also injured, have found refuge in the ruins of the hotel they were staying at.
Will Maria survive, and will the Bennett family be reunited? I don't want to ruin the ending, so you will have to go see "The Impossible" to find out.
While it may not be the type of movie you will want to watch over and over, it is definitely worth seeing. You will experience a roller-coaster of emotions as the tragedy and at times unexpected triumph of the Bennett family's terror-filled vacation unfolds before your eyes.
By the end of the movie, there was not a dry eye in the theater. "The Impossible" gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More ucba-activist News Articles
Recent ucba-activist News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UCBA-ACTIVIST
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UCBA-ACTIVIST NEWS
RECENT UCBA-ACTIVIST CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program